First Day JittersAugust 16, 2016
Diversity and CultureOctober 4, 2016
Importance of Communication
By Jill Corsi
Home and School Team
- Children learn best when the role models in their lives collaborate together as a team. This essential aspect we need to instill when schools are creating their policies. Schools alone can’t address the greater part of a youngster’s formative needs the educational team of parent/school are vital to student success.
- Sharing information about a child’s progress can also mean parents develop a clearer appreciation of their children’s true strengths and weaknesses, while an open communication channel will mean parents can be notified early on should their child be experiencing difficulties or problems.
Home–School Communication Makes a Difference
- Family involvement is linked to student learning has a greater effect on achievement than more general forms of involvement.
- Family involvement that supports student learning at home is linked to improved student achievement.
- Families of all cultural backgrounds and education and income levels can have a positive influence on their children’s learning.
- Family involvement efforts that recognize cultural and class differences, address family needs, and build on families’ strengths are effective in engaging diverse families.
Some ways Schools can support Home and School Team
- Remind 101
- Meet and Greets
- Report cards
- Progress reports
Goals for Home and School Team
- Most schools want to have a good relationship with parents and families. Their co-operation and support can make a real difference to how children see themselves as learners and engage in learning. Regular communication about the child’s individual development and achievements is a key component of successful partnership work, and an area in which schools can either invite compliments or leave themselves open to criticism. Schools that get it right build communication step by step, stage by stage, year by year – engaging families in the learning process from the very beginning.